Engineering Insurance related Weblinks
- Engineering, Standards and Safety Associations
- Renewable Energies
- Stolen Plant & Equipment Register
- Other Link Libraries
- Educational Material
- Project related sites
- Weather and Natural Perils
- Technical information
- Risk Management
- N D T Societies
- Loss Prevention and Safety
- Internet and e-commerce
- Insurers and Reinsurers
- Insurance related sites
- Insurance Associations
- ITIG – The International Tunnelling Insurance Group
Engineering, Standards and Safety Associations
The British Standards Institute (BSI) is the United Kingdom’s Organisation responsible for the production and dissemination of national Standards. These cover a vast range of products and services for all sectors of industry, commerce, medicine, transport and leisure. They deal with manufacturing, maintenance, testing, installation and the operational aspects of the products they cover.
- The United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is the United Kingdom’s Organisation responsible for providing accreditation to inspection and testing bodies. UKAS maintains close working links with its European counterparts.
- The Lift and Escalator Industry Association (LEIA) is the trade association and advisory body for the United Kingdom’s lift and escalator industry. LEIA was formed in 1997 by the merging of two long standing associations with a history dating back to 1932. LEIA members supply and maintain passenger and goods lifts and escalators.
- The Safety Assessment Federation (SAFed) is the trade body which represents the UK’s independent inspection industry. It plays a key role in maintaining high standards of safety in the workplace. SAFed acts as a focal point for all issues and concerns relating to the safe use and operation of plant, machinery and equipment. It also provides advice, guidance and information and support to policy makers.
- The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the Government body which enforces Health and Safety Law in the UK. The HSE’s mission is to ensure that risks to people’s health and safety from work activities are properly controlled. The website warns of health and safety issues in the workplace and provides a list of resources including videos and publications on these issues.
- The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
- Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Institution of Electrical Engineers
- Transformer design, procurement, construction / installation, operations, maintenance, and equipment testing and emergency services by EquiSales Associates, Inc. USA
- VGB PowerTech e.V and VGB PowerTech Service GmbH are a forum of power station operators to exchange knowledge, elaborate safety and maintenance standards and support research and development in the power generation field.
- ITA-AITES – International Tunnelling and Underground Space Association – Association Internationale des Tunnels et de L’Espace Souterrain
- Current Version of the Tunneling Code of Practice (2012)
- Overview about technical development and risk exposure. Final report of the working group “renewable energies” of engineering insurers within the GDV (German Insurance Association), March 2010
Stolen Plant & Equipment Register
- Details of services provided by The National Plant & Equipment Register (TER) for underwriters and claims staff to assist in recovery of stolen plant and equipment
Other Link Libraries
- The web site of the New Civil Engineer publication
- The Hagenbach Test Gallery – a place for Research & Development in underground constructions
- European Union (EU) – Directory of European Institutions, distribution of EU publications, latest developments in EU policies and activities.
- Insurance Institute of London
- The International Underwriting Association of London (IUA)
- Munich Re – Property and Engineering Insurance technical information and publications
- Reunion Engineering Insurance Roundtable, Munich Nov 2011 Various interesting insurance and reinsurance topics of Engineering Insurance were discussed following brief introductory presentations of these topics.
- Risk Management and Project Management – Online Master Training Programmes – Here is an access to an extensive list of programmes of various universities.
Project related sites
- Swiss high speed railway tunnel project.
- ICOLD Committee on the role of dams in the development and management of river basins.
- STUVA Studiengesellschaft für unterirdische Verkehrsanlagen e.V./German Research Organisation for Underground Transportation Facilities.
- Railway Technology The Website for the Railway Industry.
- Department of Materials Engineering
Weather and Natural Perils
- CRESTA promotes the accurate and efficient assessment and control of liabilities arising from the insurance and reinsurance of natural perils.
- (Non UK) The Mechanical Engineering Electronic Design Library provides mechanical engineering related information to conduct student design projects.
- (Non UK) Elevator World is a publication for the international vertical transportation industry. It features articles and column material concerning global activities, advanced technology and expositions related to the dynamics of the world-wide elevator industry.
- (Non UK) The vibration Institute, is an organisation dedicated to the exchange of practice vibration information on machines and structures.
- eFunda stands for engineering fundamentals. Its mission is to create an online destination for the engineering community, where working professionals can quickly find a variety of information to aid in the solution of complex design problems.
- Ei was created in 1984 by a community of engineers committed to sharing their research results as well as learning from one another.
- i-engineering.com is the engineer’s interface to the Internet.
- Database devoted to nuclear plant-specific information, material properties for safety and risk analyses,
- Information on tunnels and tunnelling.
- Membership details, IRM, constitution, publications, articles and risk management events.
- This site involves occupational health, environmental management, risk management and loss control.
- International Risk Management Institute.
- IBM Manufacturing site is aimed at providing solutions for the manufacturing industries including aerospace, automotive, architecture and construction, technology systems and microelectronics, electrical and electronic, and discrete industries (fabrication and assembly).
- Ingersoll-Rand Co (Non UK) The Ingersoll-Rand site provides information on the company and its product lines.
- Mannesmann Dematic (Non UK) Mannesman Dematic AG Mobile Cranes Division is based in Singapore. It specialises in all terrain; crawler and truck mounted lattice boom cranes. The site includes product specifications as well as information on second hand sales
N D T Societies
- The American Society for Non-Destructive Testing.
- The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing.
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Zerstörungsfreie Prüfung.
Loss Prevention and Safety
- Equisales – High Voltage Equipment & Maintenance Service Solutuions
- The Research Center for Loss Prevention and Structural Integrity (CLPSI), aims to be a global industry-university research-education consortium carrying out research in the areas of loss prevention and structural integrity including random vibrations, smart materials and structures, and health monitoring.
- Conformance is an engineering consultancy specialising in product safety, CE marking and environmental issues for small and medium sized companies.
- Fire Protection Recommendations for Wind Turbines issued by the German Insurance Association VdS (paper VdS 3523en : 2008-07 (01))
Internet and e-commerce
- The Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute CERT
- There are a number of different lists at internet.com and PostMaster Direct, the world’s largest supplier of opt-in e-mail announcement lists have joined forces to provide you with information and valuable offers by e-mail.
- The E-Commerce Times is a free online publication that provides daily news, special reports, and success stories, in addition to an e-commerce products and services guide. The publication’s tagline is “Everything You Need To Know About Doing Business Online” and content is 100% e-commerce.
- ZDNet UK News
- The history of hacking
Insurers and Reinsurers
- HSB’s Corporate Web Site
- – HSB’s technical magazine “The Locomotive”, where there are also interesting articles in “Article Library” and notes on “Recent Claims”
- For an overview of Engineering Insurance within Swiss Re and details of related publications, please see the “Engineering” page.
- The Gen Re website provides insurance and reinsurance underwriting information via publications.
- Munich Re – Engineering Insurance related matters
Insurance related sites
- LEG (London Engineering Group) is an open forum for it’s membership to meet for general discussions on topical engineering underwriting issues which may assist in maintaining underwriting standards.
- Clyde & Co
- Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group
- Charles Taylor Consulting
- Charles Taylor Consulting (risk rating tool)
- CEA – Comité Européen des Assurances (CEA) today Insurance Europe
- The Association of British Insurers is the trade association for the UK’s insurance industry, representing some 400 UK based companies.
- Austrian Insurance Association
- Insurance Council of Australia
- Fédération Francaise des sociétés d’assurances (FFSA)
- Swiss Insurance Association
- the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) which is an organisation comprised of national insurance regulators and supervisors from over 100 jurisdictions
- Contact to the German Insurance Association GDV (Gesamtverband der Deutschen Versicherungswirtschaft ) Interesting Information and Downloads
ITIG – The International Tunnelling Insurance Group
- ITIG Information
- Language Versions of the Tunnelling Code of Practice
- Information on Tunnelling and Tunnels